Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The number of the day is....

The number of the day is...

192 - that's right......one hundred and ninety-two.

That is the dollar amount of the plates I accidentally broke yesterday in the student restaurant.

I was going to put 24 huge dinner plates into an oven for pre-warming before service. I placed them onto a counter opposite from the oven, turned around to open the oven door and all 24 plates hit the tile floor. No one had told me not to sit anything on this particular counter, because it tilts (they all knew except for me). Out of the 24 plates, only 8 survived.

Not only that, but the plates also hit me on the back of my left foot, causing immediate bruising and swelling. Not bad enough to warrant me leaving though.

Later, some idiot placed a red-hot skillet into the dish sink and didn't tell me (it is a courtesy to inform the dishwasher before placing something hot into the pit). Whereupon, I grabbed it up by the red-hot handle and promptly burned my palm, index & 3rd fingers. After much loud cursing, I was hopping around repeating "I will not cry, I will not cry, I will not cry" like a mantra. Just picture it...It is MOST amusing now, but it was NOT at the time.

No, they will not make me pay for the plates. It was an accident and accidents will happen.

However, now I hold the record of the most plates/dishes broken by a student.

We will rotate to our new position/station next week as we had a large party in last night and Chef wanted us to stay where we were for the night. I'm not sure which station I will be on next, but he assures me I will not go straight to Sous Chef. I'll probably be in the bakery or the Pastry station. Either will be a CINCH compared to being the dishwasher!

No comments: