Thursday, January 10, 2008

Second Semester - First Day

BTW, I ended up with all A's last semester! 4.0 GPA - whodathunkit???

Today was the first day of my second semester in my Culinary adventure.

0800 - Baking with Chef Sándor Zombori. A real renaissance man.

I have a difficult time believing that this man has done all he has said he has done in his lifetime. He came from Communist Hungary, where he had a degree in Petro-chemical Engineering. After immigrating, he joined the U.S. Army - and became a Green Beret in Vietnam. After the Army, he returned to college on the G.I. bill and received a degree in Computer Engineering. Went to work for the U.S. Navy building computers. Woke up one day and decided to become a chef. Enrolled in Le Cordon Bleu in Paris - became a Master Chef. Opened a restaurant in Seaside, FL - operated it for 21 years. And is now teaching at my school.

Man, I'm worn out just talking about him.

I think he's going to kick our butts this semester. He is tireless and can talk more than any human being I've ever heard. But his accent is quite thick, so you must pay attention closely. He says he will teach us the European method of baking as it is more difficult than the American way. Also, that we should take the time to learn the French language, as it would be "most useful" in our careers. Ya think?!?

His only two requirements: be on time and be dressed professionally. He says he is going to lock the door at 0800 and you will not be able to get in after that. Man, I hope I never have a flat tire!

Needless to say, after class, a couple of my classmates and I have decided that this is going to be a very interesting semester, to say the least.

The rest, as they say, remains to be seen.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Pat,
I envy you having the baking class. Wish I had been able to do that.
I'll bet after working with this instructor for a while you'll probably get used to the accent and stop noticing.
Good luck!

Chaney said...

No this is an extremely thick accent. I am in the class with her. He's hard to understand, but he will make sure you do.