Saturday, December 8, 2007

Gifts from the Gulf

Yesterday was our last Meat Fab. class!!! It was Shellfish Day. We had lots to work with: shovel-nosed lobster, bay scallops, half of a 60 lb. bag of oysters, 2 types of mussels, blue crabs, and stone crab claws.

I actually shucked about 1-1/2 dozen oysters! And I don't even eat them. We 'baked' some in the microwave for my classmates to eat. We put a drizzle of butter, freshly grated Asiago cheese, and a bit of garlic powder on them. They scarfed them up as soon as they came out of the oven.

We had about 2 dozen oysters left over, so I brought them home to Mom. I even brought her a sleeve of saltines to eat them on. She was thrilled!

The kitchens are now shut down for the semester and will remain down until January 10th when classes resume.

Finals are Monday & Tuesday for me. I'm ecstatic! This means I am now 1/4 of the way through school and am still loving it. No downside here. I'm still just as psyched as the day I started my first classes!!!

Stay with me, folks - the best is yet to be.....

No comments: