Saturday, August 30, 2008

Second year

It's here. The dreaded second year of Culinary school. I'm going to be as busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest!

Monday - Cuisines of the World - 7am to 2:30pm
Tuesday - Kitchen Management (back of the house) - 7am to 2:30pm
Wednesday - Banquet Management - 8:15 - 2:30pm
Thursday - Kitchen Management (front of the house) - 7am to 2:30pm
Friday - Pastry Specialization - noon to 4:30pm

And I have an Externship class where I have to work 200 hours in a restaurant this semester. All this in addition to the part-time marketing job I already have!

Cuisines of the World: We have been assigned our final project already. We were put into pairs - my partner is Kathleen Kane, another older lady student like myself. We have to plan and execute an entire authentic Hungarian meal. Luckily we have Chef Sandor Zombori on staff (a native Hungarian). He will be aiding (and abetting!) us with this menu. Luckily we have until November before we have to actually execute the menu - lots of planning will go into this!

Kitchen Management - we picked our beginning menu this week. For the life of me I can't remember anything on it! When we get the final copy, I'll post it. My first position is Desserts. I think the desserts we decided on will be Georgia Pecan Cake, Lemon Meringue Pie, and Brownies with Caramel sauce & vanilla ice cream. Easy enough, eh?

Pastry Spec. - The instructor is none other than the world-renowned Chef Sandor Zombori. I think it's going to be a wonderful experience! We are ordering a different textbook than we were assigned previously. It is entitled "The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef" by Bo Friberg. Chef Sandor spent the summer in France where he went to school to learn about chocolate. We'll probably learn a lot from him. It's going to be incredible!

While I was thankful for the summer break - I'm also glad it's over. I'm refreshed & ready to get back in the kitchen.

Wish me luck & keep your fingers crossed that this good attitude that I have now will continue!

4 comments:

paula said...

Pat t, I read about this blog at Mimi's and am excited to see how this year goes for you! You always have good recipes and comments for others. Can't wait to read about school and the great chefs you are able to work with!
Excited for you,
paula

Pat said...

Thanks Paula!

Beverly said...

You will love your Advance Pastry Chef book, I got that one and The Professional Pastry Chef one for my daughter (two different holiday years) she used them quite a lot.

Best wishes for a wonderful training semster.

Beverly
aka noggie

Barb said...

Hi, Pat. I hope this year goes well for you. It looks like a busy one.
I have the Bo Friberg book and really like it. I do wish they had page numbers on the photos and vice-versa.
Don't use much as it isthings that I don't make anymore.