Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm OK - really....

For those of you who have contacted me via email to ask if I'm okay - the answer is YES.

Everyone has their 'down' days. I'm thinking I shouldn't add to my Happy Blog on those days...

I had a fabulous interview for a job this week and think I'm probably going to be hired. I won't get word until next Wednesday. It's a data entry position, the pay is decent, and I will have 20 hours a week. The best part: flexibility of schedule. I can basically set my own hours.

Much better than working in a kitchen!

Now - back to school: I was in the bakery in La Friandise on Monday night. I made fresh soft yeast rolls and a black & green olive focaccia. The focaccia was to die for. And I don't even like olives!

Here's the recipe - straight from the textbook:

FOCACCIA (ROMAN FLATBREAD)

0.4 oz. (1 Tblsp.) granulated sugar
0.4 oz. (1 Tblsp.) active dry yeast
12 fl. oz. water, lukewarm
1 lb. 2 oz. all-purpose flour
0.3 oz. (2 tsp.) kosher salt
3 oz. onion, chopped fine
0.5 fl. oz. olive oil
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup green pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped

1. Combine the sugar, yeast, and water. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Stir in the flour, 4 oz. (120 gm) at a time.
2. Stir in 1-1/2 tsp. (7 ml) of the salt and all of the onion. Mix well, then knead on a lightly floured board or in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook until smooth.
3. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and ferment until doubled.
4. Punch down the dough, then flatten it onto an oiled sheet pan. It should be no more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Sprinkle the olives over the top of the dough, lightly pressing them into the dough. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) of salt. Let the dough proof until doubled, approximately 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 400° F. until lightly browned, approximately 20 minutes.
6. After removing from oven, brush with olive oil.

Source: On Baking, by S. R. Labensky with E. Van Damme, P. Martel, and K. Tenbergen.


Heck - since I've got a pot of vegetable beef soup simmering right now, think I'll go mix up a batch of the focaccia to go with it.

Seriously y'all - don't worry 'bout me. I'm a survivor. I'm gonna make it.

No comments: