Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Incredible, Edible Egg

Remember the egg commercials from the Egg Board in the 80's? I can still hear their jingle in my head. I think that's about the time the thought was passed around that eggs were HIGH in cholesterol and therefore very BAD for you. Uh............wrong. As the Greeks have always said throughout history: Everything in moderation, nothing to excess. (This, however, does NOT apply to some things - say for instance, chocolate!).

I'd have to say that eggs are nature's most perfect food. I believe I could begin to wax purely poetic on their virtues, but I'll save it for another day. Maybe over a good cuppa coffee.

Yesterday we learned to make the perfect French omelet. Five minutes from the refrigerator to the serving plate. How easy is that? I believe this is probably the most valuable skill I've learned in culinary school so far, other than making good stock. A French omelet is so light and fluffy - there are people who would think they are not "done" in the center, but they are. It's the butter in the middle that makes them look that way. But the curds are so fluffy (how many times have I used the word fluffy in the past two days???); it's just excellent. There's just nothing better than a perfectly made omelet, split down the middle, filled with some salsa and topped with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Wow. Did I say wow?!?

We also learned to make a fried egg and flip it. Using NO utensils. Pretty easy when you have the right skillet. Teflon, to be sure.

Got all my mid-term grades - all A's. I'm so self-impressed. I'll try not to injure my arm when I pat myself on the back. ;>)

1 comment:

Anika said...

HA! I just caught up on your blog. Congrats on your grades!!!