Sunday, October 28, 2007

A relatively easy week

Yep, that's right. I said, a relatively easy week last week. And it was.

Monday - Food Prep class - Chef was out sick. Chef Redd made us clean for a while and then treated us to snacks in La Friandise. Cool.

Tuesday - Hospitality - Chef still not feeling good. But he did show up. Menus were due for our "restaurant". I turned mine in last week ('scuse me while I wipe that brown stuff off my nose) and got 2 grade points extra credit. My restaurant is tapas-style and its name is "La Bodega". If I could figure out how to attach it or link it, I would. But, dang it all, I'm technically challenged.

Wednesday - Food Prep - Chef feeling somewhat better. We cooked today. Rice pilaf and Risotto Milanese. Man, is risotto good. And so creamy. But is it worth standing over a hot stove and stirring constantly for 20 minutes. Methinks NOT. As long as Rice-a-roni is on the market, it'll be on my table. Plus, my daughter likes it (okay, I do too). Rice pilaf is one of those dishes that we'll be making constantly, so it is best learned now. I found that I prefer it made on the stovetop as opposed to the oven. Here's the difference: the stovetop method produces a creamier and stickier rice (more European style). The oven version is more fluffy (American style, but it reminds me of eating in the school cafeteria). According to Chef, we'll be making it in the oven as most people prefer it that way. (Ahem. They didn't ask ME.)

Thursday - Test in Hospitality - on the computer - was out of there in 10 minutes. Made a 96 - and only missed one question. Not bad considering I didn't even read the chapters! Mid-term test in Algebra. Think I did okay, but will know for sure when I get it back next Tuesday.

Friday - HUGE test in Meat Fab. class - and, yes, I actually studied for this one. We were tested on beef, veal, and lamb - primal, sub-primal, and fabricated cuts. I made a 100!!! Go me! Can't believe half the class FAILED. What is it with these twenty-somethings??? (Oh yeah, how soon they forget - I did the same thing in my 20's, so don't be fooled). Guess I'm older, and hopefully wiser.

I won't be in class next Monday as I have an appointment. They will be making pasta from scratch. ::big sigh::

More later........

No comments: