Sunday, November 18, 2007

Fish guts and other assorted sundry items

Friday - Meat Fab. class. Both morning and afternoon classes were combined into one class as Chef Ashman has gone to Atlanta to take his practical exam to obtain his Executive Pastry Chef certification. Good Luck Chef!

Bleary-eyed and not used to being up this danged early! Chef Redd is quite the comedian and certainly, shall we say, "colorful". He did about an hour lecture and then turned us loose in the kitchen.

I fileted out 3 Beeliners (otherwise known as Vermilion Snapper) and one huge doormat Flounder. Others did pompano, mullet, scamp, triggerfish, and there was a 180 lb. tuna carcass (grade 3).

Got home and couldn't wait to get into the shower and get the fish funk off of me. I told Mom about knowing how to dress out fish now and she said if my Daddy were alive he'd shout "Hallelujiah!". Donnie will certainly be surprised that I can now aid him in cleaning fish!

Speaking of which - he's home. He arrived yesterday. Jet-lagged as hell, but looking oh-so-fine. I'm glad he's here. OK, maybe just a wee bit MORE than glad.

Next week: two days to do a practice run in the kitchen before the final Practical Exam in Basic Food Prep. - I'll be glad to have the chance for this as my vegetable dishes need work. Not to mention garnishing and presentation.

Onward and upward!

No comments: